what a great filmmaker can do with mini DV footage

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I just saw Grizzly Man. Astonishing work - I've never seen a documentary that probes as deeply into man's role in the world and the effects of civilization's attempt to reverse entropy. Herzog's depiction of the haunting, predestined death that awaited Treadwell was truly remarkable. I have to agree with his closing sentiment, that the world of animals and nature is indeed completely closed off to legitimate understanding or contact. The rules are absolutely different, unnegotiable by humans. The tension that arose from the almost obscene penetration of a human into the 'wrong' world was riveting.

The irony is that Treadwell likely never saw himself as an intruder. In his attempts to interact with bears which clearly appeared to be tolerating him rather than approving of his behavior, I was reminded of the tourists snapping photos as the guide kept the bear cub at bay with rocks. Treadwell was not really different.
woods01

Post by woods01 »

I think that the guy was throwing rocks at the bear in order to get it to
stand up on his feet so they could get a good picture. The other people
in the party were making jestures as if to get it to stand. The very idea
of throwing a rock at a bear is insane those idiots were lucky not to have
provoked the bear into attacking.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

True, he may have been urging it to stand up. I think Herzog's point is that even well-intentioned people end up exploiting nature when they try to transpose humanity where it has no place. I fully agree.