Screenplay vs novel

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Actor

Screenplay vs novel

Post by Actor »

I've taken a break from writing a screenplay and turned my attention to writing a novel. The reason I'm doing this is that I have an idea for a story that just does not lend itself to indie filmmaking. It's just too big. "The Mongol horde swept across the plains" is seven words in a novel. In a film it's seven million dollars.

Anyway, having gotten about 10,000 words down on paper I think I'm still writing a screenplay. I mean, it's formatted like a novel but I'm still in screenplay mode: short descriptions followed by lots of dialog. I glanced at a couple of novels from my bookshelf and found just the opposite: lots of description and sparce dialog.

I need to switch into novel writing mode, if there is such a thing. Start doing things that screenwriters are never supposed to do. Get into my characters heads and reveal their thoughts instead of trying to reveal everything through words and actions.
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

I'd say the concept of short, sober descriptions and revealing dialogues is not necessarily bad for literature on itself.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...I personally think dialogue should be the last step when writing a screenplay. Writing dialouge before writing what all the scenes have to do to make the story work is like doing the finishing work on a house before the framing.

Steve