New: sync sound projection with CD/DVD player + ELMO GS1200

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Bart Sanders

Post by Bart Sanders »

Hi there!

Last Saterday I visited one of our bigger film trade fairs in Europe, Waghäusel in Germany. Recommended anyway.

Look at this site and check their revolutionary way of projecting films with an optimal CD sound quality (even Surround 5.1!) and have perfect sync.

http://www.bebo-ton-film.de

For those not able to understand german: you have a CD/DVD player with digital audio out, a Sync Box from bebo-ton and an ELMO GS1200.
The box picks up the 44 Kbit sample rate and divides it to 162/3, 18, 24, 25 etc. Because being quartz controlled timing is rocksteady and the ELMO is happy to be controlled by this 1:1 frame signal.
Lucas Lightfeat

Post by Lucas Lightfeat »

WOW 8O

That rocks. I may end up projecting my sound films after all - after editing NLE! Could this be the best of both worlds? I wonder if Kodak knew all this would happen when they scrapped soundstriped film?!

Lucas
MovieStuff

Re: New: sync sound projection with CD/DVD player + ELMO GS1

Post by MovieStuff »

Bart Sanders wrote: and the (GS1200) ELMO is happy to be controlled by this 1:1 frame signal.
It's a terrific idea, really.....IF you happen to have a GS1200!

Sort of like the old Steve Martin joke: I can teach you how to be a millionaire and not pay any taxes. First, get a million dollars. Now the next step is...... ;)

However, for those lucky enough to own a GS1200, I'm sure it rocks. What fun! :)

Roger
Lucas Lightfeat

Post by Lucas Lightfeat »

Yeah, I'll bet those projectors are pretty expensive, huh?

Also, I'm trying to think how one might do a perfect frame match from NLE edits to the original footage. Pheew, that might end up being a lot of frustrating work, as there is no real EDL to work with, only almost identical images.

Has anybody out there on the forum ever made a projection film by counting frames to match a computer edited film? I'd love to hear any tips on doing this, not that I have the apropriate equipment at the moment, but....

Lucas
John Clancy

Nothing new

Post by John Clancy »

Bart, this sync' pulse solution has been around since the 80's. It was first developed by Keith Wilton and despite Cresta's misgivings they did later develop their own 'box' (I think it's known as a VS-2000) for cleaning up a pulse signal.

Keith has often published the circuit diagram for the sync' pulse box - it only costs a few pounds to put together and then has to be coupled to the Cresta Interface for the GS-1200. Hey presto, sound synchronized from DVD, Laser Disc, VHS etc. for next to nothing.

We're hoping to do another sync' pulse show at the coming BFCC on 17th May so if anyone fancies making the trip let me know and we'll arrange to show it to you in detail.
Henry

Post by Henry »

Hi Bart,
What´s the difference between the BEBO- SYNC- BOX and the AUDIOSYNC - BOX ( also produced for Elmo GS 1200 ) ?

Look here !
http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katal ... quartz.php
http://www.ffr-film.de/Katalog/Angebot/audiosync.htm

henry
Bart Sanders

ELMO GS1200 sync sound using DVD/CD

Post by Bart Sanders »

Hi!

Thanks for your replies! This is a reply to them. Yes, a number of sync control solutions have been available and are available. I have made a small interface myseld which converts audio encoded 18, 24 etc pulses to a signal which the ELMO understands. Whatch out for one of the next issues of Schmalfilm. It is like the mentioned Chresta box, but then simpler and cheap. I do have mono signal then, however, because one audio channel is used for the sync pulses. But, I don´t mind this. I use a small MD-walkman for the sound at projection.

The AudioSync Box is comparable to the BEBO solution in that it allows full stereo sound coming from your CD player. You do NOT need digital audio out as well, making it ideal for small MD or CD walkmans. This can be an advantage if you will.

The BEBO sulution is the neatest from a cabling and "mess" point of view.

The most important however: things are moving in this area, small gauge filmmaking is very alive!
paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

Wouldn’t it be better to lock the playback to the projector rather than the projector to the audio? What you need is a projector with a sync motor locked to the 60hz wall socket then lock your playback to the same 60hz to keep sync. It would be workable with any projector that way.
Konton

Post by Konton »

Maybe I'm just not that familiar with the Elmo GS1200, but as I recall, you didn't need any extra devices to have the projector slave to an external device. It would sync to 1K busts. So if you had 1K burts running at 1/24th of a second then the projector would run at 24fps exectly. Am I wrong about this?
Justin Miller
ds21z

Match NLE frames to Projection Edit frames

Post by ds21z »

Has anybody out there on the forum ever made a projection film by counting frames to match a computer edited film? I'd love to hear any tips on doing this, not that I have the apropriate equipment at the moment, but....
Pedro has the solution to this.
Konton

Post by Konton »

Roger and Jeff can show you as well.
Justin Miller
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

Auricon cameras have sync motors; could more be purchased? Swap out the motor in a projector with an Auricon one? Nah, I've read that they burn out with lots of use and needed to be replaced. There should be someplace that makes sync motors. One would need to do what Roger did in matching the speed with pully wheel sizes, belts, and all for any given projector. If enough of us wanted such a projector, someone would make them, given charge card orders.
John Clancy

Post by John Clancy »

T-Rex sequence from Jurassic Park to be shown using sync' pulse this Saturday at the BFCC. http://www.bfcc.biz

The reason the video source has to drive the projector is because all transfers run at slightly different speeds. Locking the projector to exactly 24fps would have the sound drift out of sync'.
paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

Yes, but the projector could output a sync pulse that the playback could lock to.

Paul Cotto

John Clancy wrote:T-Rex sequence from Jurassic Park to be shown using sync' pulse this Saturday at the BFCC. http://www.bfcc.biz

The reason the video source has to drive the projector is because all transfers run at slightly different speeds. Locking the projector to exactly 24fps would have the sound drift out of sync'.
Don't worry about equipment so much and make your movie!
Konton

Post by Konton »

Your just asking for messed up audio. Better to have the projected frames sync to the audio. But if you want it the other way around the Beaulieu 708LE already has a flash contact.
Justin Miller