non-technical books on filmmaking

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

It is a very good explanation, but very limited as to describe what actually happens in the movie viewing process. The spectator's comprehension of the film's narrative cannot be seperated his emotional responses as Bordwell claims. Mind and body cannot be seperated, since the body continually provides the human brain with emotional values. This process is unconcious and not something that the spectator can control by consiously follow cues according to expectations of a narrative style. Instead it is an unconsious process motivated by fundamental aspects of the mental architecture of humans. A narrative is the basic way we, as humans, make sense of the world around us.

michael
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

"Essay's on Chaplin" from Bazin is a great read - from there I went out to the web and found this:

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSp ... tator.html

Steve
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Steve,

you mention Bazin a few times. What is it that makes you read him so much?

michael
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

..Curiosity of course. :D Actually, I'm just getting around to reading him now. His views on Chaplin are very insightful and his writing style is straight-ahead. (unlike most if the French writers I have read!!)

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:..Curiosity of course. :D Actually, I'm just getting around to reading him now. His views on Chaplin are very insightful and his writing style is straight-ahead. (unlike most if the French writers I have read!!)

Steve
Thats because the French are light years ahead of what passes for cultural analysis in the Axis of Anglo Saxonia.

Pick up 'The Evil Demon in Images' by Jean Baudrillard and you'll realise how truly arid and baron analytical aesthetics is. Not everything is about politics, identity, representation, repression etc.. COntemporary French philosophy aims to affect as much as represent or dissect. It is art in itself and it collapses barriers between analysis on the original construction of new understanding and inspiration. This is more politically powerful than endlessly picking the last meat off the bone of some injustice here or there.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Thanks Nathan. I'll do that. I am currently waiting on my copy of "The Conspiracy of Art" from the library....

Steve