Film Slitting 35mm

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
daviddetroit

Film Slitting 35mm

Post by daviddetroit »

I might be getting about 5000-6000 feet of short ends Vision 3 500T 35mm film for free, and I'm curious if anyone knows of any PROFESSIONAL places I could get this film 'slit' or 'split' to 16mm, with new perforations cut? I've seen some janky looking DIY devices, but I'd like to find something reputable, if there is anything reputable that exists. The goal being, shoot some tests, see how it turns out, and shoot a long form project with a really slim shooting ratio... Any knowledge/experience/advice would be much appreciated... In a pinch, I might be willing to buy a device, and do it myself, but I'm not even sure if something that can punch perforations at that volume exists on a no-budget level... Hopefully this isn't just a sick pipe dream... Thanks!
slashmaster

Re: Film Slitting 35mm

Post by slashmaster »

I know that pro8mm will cut it up and put it in super 8 cartridges for you for a certain price. Maybe they will do it with 16mm too. How did you get all this film for free? If I had that much, I would try to buy or even build a machine to cut and punch it for me.
aj

Post by aj »

In Germany you have Wittner, Kahl and possibly GK-film (no english there) who do slit and perf. Maybe enquire there?

In USA aren't Pro8mm and Spectra doing the same thing? Although with their prices you might just as well purchase fresh Kodak :)

Slitting isn't the problem. Correct punching is the hard part!
If it is perfed 35mm you will only get 1 16mm length from it. While in S8 you would get 3 lengths :)
Kind regards,

André
woods01

Post by woods01 »

I recently was given some 5222 short ends and contacted those guys about getting it slit and loaded.
Spectra said they don't do that and suggested I buy some of their film. They didn't reply when I asked
who slits and loads the Velvia 50D for them.

Pro8 said they could do it but declined to give me a price quote when they learned my short ends were
under 400'. Apparently their machines need quantities of 400' or more, or perhaps its only cost effective
at those quantities. I got no reply when I asked what it would cost to get a 400' roll slit and loaded.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

If you can find some way to cut 1 x 16mm out of a roll of perforated 35mm, then it is possible to have it perforated to standard 8 (regular 8) which would run fine in a normal 16mm camera, but not super 16. Edward Nowill in London can do that. But having a 16mm width successfully cut out of it is a challenge. It can't be done with a razor blade type setup as the blade gets blunt too quickly.
Pro 8 have machines that they purchased long ago to cut super 8 magnetic fulcoat our of 35mm magnetic fulcoat. I don't believe they have machines for slitting any other format than perforated 35 to 3 x super 8.
Velvia is perforated by (or through) Wittner. Maybe he has the machine for super 8 perforating, or maybe he has access to the Orwo or Foma or GK film equipment.
Karl ... well. They MIGHT have a machine for 16mm perforation since they are able to sell their colour reversal stock in 16mm. That old stock may well have originated as 35mm perforated. They might be the only possibility. Good luck trying to deal with them though.
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

http://www.filmotec.de/?page_id=200&lang=en
Packaging film materials and films

Split (slitting) of film and foil webs in formats
  • Standard width 16 mm (ISO 69)
  • Standard width 35 mm (ISO 491)
  • more roll widths on request
  • sheet formats on request
Perforating film and foil rolls
16 mm (ISO 69) in the following versions:
  • 1-0 RA-7620 (1 RA-3000)
  • 1-2 R-7620 (2 R-3000)
  • 1-0 RA-7605 (1 RA-2994)
35 mm (ISO 491) in versions:
  • 35 N-4740 (AB-1866)
  • 35 P-4740 (KS-1866)
  • 35 P-4750 (KS-1870)
  • 35 mm in the execution 35-8 mm Type S, 5R (1-3-5 -7-0))
This space was left intenionally blank.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Its excellent that ORWO now advertise slitting and perforating as a service.
It would be necessary to know what they are able to slit 16mm from - ie what size film is the slitter expecting.
On a separate note, I had some 35mm perforated film slit and perforated for super 8 through Wittner. I believe it was sent to Orwo. The perforator used was able to handle the fact that the film already had 35mm perforations. Usually the machine in question is fed with unperforated 35mm film to make four strips of super 8. Feeding in perforated 35mm resulted in only two strips of super 8 of course.
rt
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
lightmachine

Post by lightmachine »

This gives me an interesting idea.
Modifying a 35mm cam to a 2perf movement and matt left and right. One can then re shoot the film and have 4 16mm images in one 35mm frame. Interesting.
Hey, would selling the film be out of the question? I'm sure you thought of selling it and buying fresh rolls of 16 I just couldn't resist the input.
Good luck
inspector calls

Post by inspector calls »

Edward Nowill of London UK provides slitting & perforating services for 35mm film[ perforated/unperforated ] to either x1 16mm strip & x1 8mm strip [from perforated 35mm film] or x2 16mm strip from unperforated film.Currently said strips can only be perforated to regular 8mm but a punch/ die for single perf 16mm is in his possession for fitting to a Buko machine for 16mm perforating.The slitter currently in use is a rotary bladed model-another similar machine is on its way.
Reference 35mm 2perf pull down:: Lomo now make a Rolliflex sized 35mm motion picture camera [hand cranked] utilizing a 2 perf pulldown giving a satisfyingly widescreen image.A standard 35mm stills camera cassette is used for loading the film.A reasonably long shooting time can be achieved by loading your own cassettes from a bulk loader.I have managed to obtain 56 normal 35mm size slides from Kodak type 5363 loaded into a single cassette. [5363 high contrast positive 35mm motion picture film black/white]
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

David,

Edward Nowill is able to do this, i.e. 35->16.

edwardnowill@gmail.com

+44 20 8874 0069

Putney
32B Wadham Road,
London, Greater London, UK
SW15-2LR

daviddetroit wrote:I might be getting about 5000-6000 feet of short ends Vision 3 500T 35mm film for free, and I'm curious if anyone knows of any PROFESSIONAL places I could get this film 'slit' or 'split' to 16mm, with new perforations cut? I've seen some janky looking DIY devices, but I'd like to find something reputable, if there is anything reputable that exists. The goal being, shoot some tests, see how it turns out, and shoot a long form project with a really slim shooting ratio... Any knowledge/experience/advice would be much appreciated... In a pinch, I might be willing to buy a device, and do it myself, but I'm not even sure if something that can punch perforations at that volume exists on a no-budget level... Hopefully this isn't just a sick pipe dream... Thanks!
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm