Abandoned House Project Collaborative

Collaborative film projects
brokenflashlight

Abandoned House Project Collaborative

Post by brokenflashlight »

This would be more geared towards people who live in more rural areas, or otherwise have access to houses, buildings or barns that have been abandoned or forgotten and have become effected by time.

I, myself, live on Cape Breton Island on the edge of Nova Scotia, Canada so I have great access to said areas. I've been casually taking adventures around the island actively seeking out homes or barns in small fishing villages, forgotten settlements, etc. that have obviously not been lived in for many, many years. I even found a house deep in the woods with no apparent access roads or paths at all. It's quite exciting and even intoxicating in some ways.

Now, recently I've been thinking about it more seriously. So I decided to propose this question to whoever might be interested. My idea is to collect footage from anyone around the world who would like to participate in this project of mine. I do have a few guidelines I'd like to be followed, however. Here they are:

- Must be shot on Super 8mm, B&W film stock. (I'd prefer it to be shot on Tri-X for various reasons such as continuity, better for the indoor shots if you're not using any lighting, etc.) <- EDIT i'm flexible on this issue for the fact of Plus-X is compatible with more cameras.
- I encourage you to use your own style, but I do have a loose format to follow for shooting each house:

1. Open with a good exterior shot(s) of the house, building or barn.

2. General interior shot(s) of all the rooms (be careful, though. some of these places can be dangerous with rotten floors, stairs, etc. Use your own judgment.)

3. I'd also like to have some shots and/or closeups shots of artifacts or anything you find in the house that you think is interesting (old pots, couches, personal affects (especially these, if possible. I found an old Nazi hair clip in one house I explored!!), beds, rusted kitchen supplies, cans, bottles, stoves, etc., etc., etc.) It's okay if you can't find alot of those things, just shoot what you can.

4. I'd like absolutely no people in any shots. This is important, because I want the whole mood of the film to be eerie, lonely, singular and solitary.

5. Some shots of the area where the house, building or barn is located would be nice too. Like the access roads or paths, the woods surrounding the place, the town or village where it's located, etc. But I'd like the main focus to be of the houses themselves.

- I'd like the film to be shot on reversal film. My plan is to eventually have a large screening of the film, so I'd like them to be projectable. I'll be splicing all films I receive together so I won't have to be changing reels every 3 minutes. I can return your film(s) back to you, as well, if you'd like. EDIT: I'll be making prints of the final cut for everyone in the collaborative.

- Being a musician also, I'll be adding my own sound designs to accompany the film.

- Please make a very short stop-motion title at the beginning of your film stating the town/city, province/state and country only. Be creative with the titles too, if you'd like. Keep them at a 3 second maximum.

- Each filmmaker will be credited at the end of the film with your location and name.

- Please shoot at 24fps.

- Shoot as much, or as little as you want.

- Please note that I may do minor edits to footage I recieve. This is for continuity purposes only. I'll make sure to note what exactly I edit, and of whose footage. If this is something you don't like, just let me know and I won't edit yours. No biggie. Just try and follow the shooting guidelines as close as possible.

So, if you're in an area where this might be possible and you're looking for a really fun project for you and your super 8, you should think about it. It's great fun going on day trips into the rurals of the world to search out forgotten vistas where people once called HOME ... but no more. A great representation/documentation of how things continue to live on and exist without us, long after we're gone...

That's all I can think of right now, folks. I know I'm forgetting some things so I'll most likely be editing this on a regular basis when I think of some things I forgot. Please feel free to give your own ideas or input, as well.

PM me if you're interested or have any questions. Or you can email me at mackinnonda@gmail.com

Thanks,
David
Last edited by brokenflashlight on Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

This is a great idea. I've thought about it a hundred times as I pass abandoned farm houses and tenent dwellings covered with kudzu vines. Count me in. I'll shoot some footage.
superotto.40

Post by superotto.40 »

HI,
firstly, merry christmas and happy new year.
good idea, only a question:
do u want only images from USA, or are also accepted from the rest of the world?
I live in Italy..
thanks
brokenflashlight

Oh no no. Anywhere, and everywhere. Italy would be spectacular. The more places, the better! Any more questions or suggestions or comments just ask.

Just drop me a PM when you have your footage, and we'll go from there. Seeing as this is an evolving project, I don't have a specific date I want your film, but my aim is to have some form of a finished project by summer 2008. But... of course, the more prompt the better.
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

Great to have scenes from all over the world. Im a volunteer with the US Map Corps taking GPS readings for updating the US Topo maps which need to be brought into the modern GPS world. Last time there was any work done to them was 1972. My area is extremely rural ag and I see the abandoned houses around when Im exploring for map reading. Most of the houses I doubt Id want to enter but Ill start carring my camera when I go out. Great idea, Welcome Italy.
brokenflashlight

Great!

I just bought a brand-spankin' new moleskine notebook specifically for this project. I'd like to make a list of the people intending to participate. So, could I get your full names, the town/city, state/region/province so I can put it in the notebook? I have a friend visiting Cuba soon and she said she is going to attempt to get some stuff shot there. Slowly coming together. I'd really love some stuff from Russia, too -- anyone from Russia out there?

Edit: Regarding costs.

If you have any problems with covering the cost of your own footage development, please let me know. I have no problem throwing some cash towards your specific costs. I'll be covering the costs of all the rest of the post work.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
Guy Bennett

Re: Abandoned House Project Collaborative

Post by Guy Bennett »

Out of curiosity, did this project ever go anywhere? It's a fine idea...
brokenflashlight

It's on hiatus, I guess. I'm always scouting out and filming these places, however. So, I'll probably just end up localizing the whole project, since I can't seem to get enough interest from abroad. I'm shooting a short fiction on 16mm this summer, so that's top priority at the moment.

It still lives, though. I do still encourage anyone that is interested to contact me.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
downix

Post by downix »

Sounds interesting. I'm in Florida, ton of abandoned settlements here.