Play in Filmo 70DR speed dial

Technical talk about 8mm, Super8, 9.5mm, 16mm and 35mm ++ motion picture cameras.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Phil_F_NM

Play in Filmo 70DR speed dial

Post by Phil_F_NM »

My new (to me) B&H 70DR arrived a few days ago and I'm eager to get the whole kit together and shooting. It works fantastically after blowing out the interior, cleaning the shutter and applying a bit of light oil. I get a reliable 36 seconds on a full wind at 24fps.
Today I set a strobe at 24Hz and aimed it at the shutter to test for accuracy. I got the point indexed perfectly where there may be one frame off every 10 seconds or so. That said, moving the dial then resetting it to 24 necessitates turning it back a little farther then setting the speed coming from a lower speed. This is to take out what I know in mechanical terms as gear lash or "slop." Just a tiny bit of wandering at that dial but enough to make a big difference if I want to synch sound on the cheap without a crystal synch motor, which I don't think I can even attach to this model anyway. So is there any way to remove that little mechanical variance between the dial and the actual governor linkage?
Thanks all,
Phil Forrest
Phil_F_NM

Re: Play in Filmo 70DR speed dial

Post by Phil_F_NM »

Another thing; does anyone know where I can get a replacement strap for a Filmo 70?

Thanks all,
Phil Forrest
Mmechanic

Re: Play in Filmo 70DR speed dial

Post by Mmechanic »

That play is normal, it’s even a mechanical necessity. Bell & Howell explained that one should turn the speed dial to somewhat faster than the desired value and then slow the mechanism down to the mark. The marks were set that same way.

A strap seems to be an ebay-etsy-or-so search or a job for a local lorimer.