Canon Autozoom 814 electronic not working?

Technical talk about 8mm, Super8, 9.5mm, 16mm and 35mm ++ motion picture cameras.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

D4rius

Canon Autozoom 814 electronic not working?

Post by D4rius »

Hello!
I am totally novice in shooting with movie cameras but I recently bought a Canon Autozoom 814 Electronic to jump in the world of super 8mm.
The thing is that when i bought my camera the battery chamber cover was missing. And when i insert 4 fresh AA batteries and try to hold them inserted in the chamber with my hands ,the needle in the battery check window is not moving at all, so my questions are:

1- Is the batttery chamber cover really essential for the camera to properly work? my idea is that it is just a plastic part that basically hold the batteries , no electronic connections there.

2-Do you think i could open it and try to see what's wrong inside the beast? or should i give up and buy another Canon 814?

if it is just a problem of metal connection i could easily fix that, maybe it has fell or whatever.

regards,
Darius
unsanity

Re: Canon Autozoom 814 electronic not working?

Post by unsanity »

Yes, the battery cover is necessary to complete the electrical connection between the batteries.
alexmuir

Post by alexmuir »

I had one of these and I thought it took six AA cells? Four in the handle and another two in a compartment on the body near the film door. It wasn't obvious without instructions that you needed the other two. Maybe it was a different model 814?
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

Alex, yours must have been a different model. I've got a Canon Autozoom 814 E, and it's definitely content with 4 AA batteries. As for the cover of the battery compartment, it's a pretty basic piece of plastic with a metal plate on the inside and a large screw. Shouldn't be impossible to find some DIY solution for it.

Charlie
49miles

Post by 49miles »

Hey did you ever manage to fix the camera? I've got a canon auto zoom 814 electronic and having problems myself. No response from fresh batteries in the chamber