Squeezed Reels?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jpolzfuss

Squeezed Reels?

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi!

Today, I was tinkering around with a projector that I’ve bought recently. I noticed that the „take up“ didn’t work properly. But after a short examination, I noticed that the problem was not caused by the projector, but by the reel:
0400CA75-90F8-470D-948A-5282647AA128.jpeg
It’s hard to see on the photo, but the reel‘s sidewalls aren’t parallel in the yellow area. I fear that the reel was squeezed while in storage (= given the dust on the projector for at least 20 years).
This is my „first aid“ for the reel: I rolled three handkerchiefs and put them between the sidewalls.
B589112F-25AA-4C05-88A1-3AF7493271B6.jpeg
Would this be sufficient to save the reel? Can it be saved at all? Any ideas/hints?

Thanks
Jörg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This space was left intenionally blank.
rlorenz2

Re: Squeezed Reels?

Post by rlorenz2 »

I recovered a reel with a similar issue. I stressed it like you have shown, but that dident hold until I did it an left in the summer sun all day. It helped to add heat to reform the plastic to its normal position.
My films

http://vimeo.com/user1869478
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Thanks! I‘ll try that ASAP...
This space was left intenionally blank.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Yeah I got a batch of Gepe 120m/400ft reels where most of them had this issue. Might try to put them out in the summer sun with some styrofoam pieces in between. Thanks for the tip.

Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations