Replacing foam in camera bag?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jpolzfuss

Replacing foam in camera bag?

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi!

The bottom of the inside of my original Beaulieu camera leather bag is completely covered with foam. The bag is „NOS“ (manufactured in the late 1990s), and I‘m its first owner. Hence, I want to keep this bag and continue to use it. The problem: Due to the age, the foam already started to become less elastic. And I fear that it will turn into some sticky glue in a year or two. But the whole area of the foam is glued to the ground. Hence, I don’t know how to remove it. Any ideas? Or is it better to simply cover the foam with something else, e.g. new foam?

Thanks for your help
Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
kuparikettu

Re: Replacing foam in camera bag?

Post by kuparikettu »

If it is on that stage, I'd remove it. Depending on how it is glued, I'd either just rip it out or cut it out. If it can't be done without damaging the bag, lining it with some fabric might work. :)

Apparently all foam slowly frees gasses that may damage optical elements or electronics so it's better not to store your cameras or lenses inside for longer periods of time.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

kuparikettu wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:28 pm If it is on that stage, I'd remove it. Depending on how it is glued, I'd either just rip it out or cut it out. If it can't be done without damaging the bag, lining it with some fabric might work. :)

Apparently all foam slowly frees gasses that may damage optical elements or electronics so it's better not to store your cameras or lenses inside for longer periods of time.
Big fan of billingham padded-inserts can put them into other bag come in all size's keep your camera etc safe .

https://billingham.co.uk/collections/ac ... ed-inserts
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Good idea. Thanks.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

The „NOS“ bag and a look at the black foam on its bottom. Only storing a 4008 in this bag for two months caused additional damage to the foam. So today, I’m going to tear it out...
1B8B4D62-788D-4CDA-9507-D853142F688A.jpeg
D3B937BE-24ED-45B8-8270-1BC8D710486E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Just scratching it with my fingernails - and it crumbled to dust faster than a vampire in sunlight. :D
E779B270-D1A8-4BED-AF75-7C447250384A.jpeg
Using a brush and a vacuum cleaner, I was able to remove the foam. :)
44AFD440-0822-4092-AAB0-D0F9EE690E94.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mana

Post by Mana »

I actually bought the last bag Wittner had like that NOS, and like yours the foam has deteriorated.
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4