Ethical Question: Corona

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jpolzfuss

Ethical Question: Corona

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi!

When the Corona-shutdown started, I wanted to film the empty streets, the closed shops/restaurants/cinemas/... in B&W. And the plan was to shoot the “glamorous and glorious” reopening in color and to combine both parts to a single movie.
But my kids urged me not shoot this as they didn’t want to have memories of this lockdown and as they felt that it was “strange” to make a movie out of the misery of all the shop-owners and their employees. What do you think? Are these valid objections? Would such a film really have been “unethical”?

(In the meantime, most shops/restaurants/... reopened - but without any ceremonies or decorations (lack of money + ongoing restrictions due to Corona). And they didn’t reopen at the same time, so the imagined “color part” would have been impossible to shoot. Hence, I’m happy that I didn’t shot the “B&W part”.)

Take care and stay healthy!
Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
sven

Re: Ethical Question: Corona

Post by sven »

I'm currently actively filming the lock downs and everything around it. Shooting with my Elmo C300 with fomapan r100 Ds8. I've currently shot around 500ft of Ds8 fomapan and 100ft of Ektachrome 7294 about the subject. Nevertheless, it's currently a time I also don't like to be remembered of. This year is definitely the opposite I was hoping for. Nevertheless, I'm still documenting everything as I think it's interesting to record, and there isn't much else to do :(.

Kings day in the Netherlands was very surreal this year. In my film there are empty streets and only anything happining online and on TV. All the cafe's were empty, although there was some advertising board of Corona extra beer. I filmed that as I thought it would at some irony. In Amsterdam a couple of weeks later I filmed all the mouth masks they were throw as garbage on the streets including all the signs of keeping distance.

Currently it's still an ongoing film project for me. Planning to add sound stripe and sound later this year. Maybe also going to share some of the movies I'm making on YouTube.

My actual plan this year was to go on another big trip through Japan and maybe to Taiwan, China, South Korea and Singapore. I was also planing to visit the Olympics in Tokyo. I hope next year will be better. Still planning to do it though as soon when things are possible again. With a huge amount of super 8 and Ds8 film. I can't wait for Ektachrome 7294 in Ds8 :D
kuparikettu

Re: Ethical Question: Corona

Post by kuparikettu »

Well, perhaps the bw to color transition might have been seen by some to belittle the suffering of people. But documenting this crisis? Nothing unethical there, I think. If we didn't have film from the eras of wars and suffering, how much poorer our memory would be...