Beaulieu-Optivarion 1.8 6-66 Lens Question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gianni1

Beaulieu-Optivarion 1.8 6-66 Lens Question

Post by gianni1 »

What's the story with the motors on this Beaulieu-Optivarion 1.8 6-66 Lens?

Sometimes I see them with none, sometimes two, while this example has one.. Is the top one zoom, and bottom one aperture control?

I'm shopping for a lens for a 2008S automatic that I paid £$€ 55 plus postage.

Gianni B-)

s-l1600-9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mana

Re: Beaulieu-Optivarion 1.8 6-66 Lens Question

Post by Mana »

Thats the M3 which was a Safari edition? It leaves out the zoom motor. 2008 and early 4008 (not ZM), don't have the Zoom motor, most common is the Angenieux 8-64mm, also Schneider 7-56mm.
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Thank Mana, I ended up going with a 1.4 / 6-70 Beaulieu-Optivarion with the two motors.

B-)
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

The 1.4 / 6-70 Beaulieu-Optivarion arrived, mated with a Beaulieu 5008S Multispeed. This lens does not fit properly onto the 2008 S. It rotates ok then stops with the lower motor too far blocking the shutter button hole. I found a broken 8.5mm 2/3" Cosmicar CCTV lens at a local flea market, that doesn't focus to infinity, just a macro lens.

On a side note, I got the 5008S working by making a battery. I hooked together two 3 AAA battery boxes with some wire connectors to the base of the handle, stuffing it into a Gilette Shave Foam Black Plastic Cap, and Black Taping it to the handle.
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Eventually got a Rainbow TV Zoom lens H6X8-II 8-48 1:1.0 Lens (C Mount 1/2").

Focuses to infinity, and generally seems ok to me.

It's not auto aperture, but it's ok since cost about a third of what i paid for the 2008S camera.

The camera also didn’t come with a battery, so I powered the camera with a home made two 2AAA battery boxes (with 1.5v Nimh's) velcro'd to the back, the end's of it's flying leads ( 0V, 2.4V, 4.8V ) wedged into the battery compartment.

B-) Gianni

IMG_0017.jpeg
IMG_6919.jpeg
IMG_6014.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Finally got a clean and working Schneider - Kreuznach f/1.8 7-56mm lens that came with a parts (as-is) S2008 Beaulieu Super 8 Camera Body.

Now gotta see if the parts body is working or not..

€£$40.00 including postage.
s-l1600.jpg
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi!

Short answer:
  • No motor = real C-mount, compatible with all C-mount-cameras
  • One motor = „Beaulieu mount 1“ (C-mount plus support for Beaulieu‘s auto exposure, only works on Beaulieus)
  • Two motors = „Beaulieu mount 2“ (C-mount plus support for Beaulieu‘s auto exposure and motor-zoom, only works on Beaulieus)
  • To make things more complicated: There were also „Beaulieu mount 2“-lenses without motor-zoom and hence with only a single motor. They have been cheaper, but don’t fit onto „Beaulieu mount 1“-cameras as they include a cover for the connectors for the motor zoom. Your image from your initial posting shows such a lens.
E.g. the Beaulieu 2008-models only support „Beaulieu mount 1“, while most 4008-versions support both „Beaulieu mount 1“ and „Beaulieu mount 2“.
(If I‘m not mistaken, then Beaulieu changed their mount again for the 5008 and higher numbers.)

Hope this helps,
Jörg
Last edited by jpolzfuss on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This space was left intenionally blank.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

When buying C-mount-lenses, you’ll have to keep in mind that there are also CS- and RX-mount. All three have the same screw mount diameter etc., so can be mounted onto the same cameras. But they all expect the film (or sensor) at a different position! CS is mainly used for surveillance cameras, while RX is used only for certain Bolex-cameras (more or less all models with a single lens RefleX viewfinder)...

C and CS explained in Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_mount
RX explained at Bolexcollector:
http://www.bolexcollector.com/lenses/50kern.html
This space was left intenionally blank.
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Thanks for the C mount and Beaulieu lens overview. Regarding my last post, lens works fine, but not the body.

B-)