Long term storage of processed film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

kuparikettu

Long term storage of processed film

Post by kuparikettu »

Now that my collection of home movies (from the past decade) has grown considerably, consisting of both camera originals (negative and reversal film) and polyester prints from the negative, I'd like to take good care of my home movies.

Currently a big portion of it all is in the original metal cans from Andec, some of which are quite tight (and some films might even be in plastic bags within...). I have read that good ventilation of the films should be taken care of. I don't really have the option of putting my films in cold, humidity controlled environment with air pushed around, but at least where I live it is rarely humid or hot. All films are stored in our apartment.

I take it that first of all I should probably remove all plastic bags. But what about the cans -- do I need to replace them or can I just make holes in them? If I should replace them, what cans would you recommend?
alexmuir

Re: Long term storage of processed film

Post by alexmuir »

There is a Kodak publication called ‘The Book of Film Care’ by Paul Gordon. It is out of print, but you might find a used copy. It should give you some advice about long term storage.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Thanks Alex!
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

Kodachrome lasts over 50 years without much colour loss. Cannnot say the same for Ilfochrome and Agfachrome or Ferrania.
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html