Syncing pre-recorded sound while shooting at 12fps

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

The_kodak_kid

Syncing pre-recorded sound while shooting at 12fps

Post by The_kodak_kid »

Would I have to slow down the audio? And if so how much would I have to slow it down so that the actors can sync their mouths while I record them at 12fps?

I want to project this while I sync the sound using a laptop...
Wade

Re: Syncing pre-recorded sound while shooting at 12fps

Post by Wade »

Will you be projecting at something other than 12fps, say 24fps, for example? Then yes, you have to slow down the audio, if you want the effect of speaking at normal pitch, but speaking really fast. To stay in sync the camera motor should be able to maintain sync at that speed, and a head ant tail slate will help.

If you are just projecting at 12fps you don't have to do anything special, besides slating, etc.

At least I think that would work. I've done the opposite, shooting at high speed, to give the dreamy effect of being very slow, but speaking at normal pitch.

To figure out how much to slow down the audio, you can do what I did and have a friend who mixes with ProTools, copy the audio onto a CD at the required speed. I let my friend do the calculations. I don't have a clue how to do that. But it worked fine for me.
Wade