Has anyone brought from super 8 camera shop online belgium ?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Lex colby

Has anyone brought from super 8 camera shop online belgium ?

Post by Lex colby »

Hi there,

I am on the hunt for a decent super 8 & forund a good looking place online called the super camera 8 shop http://www.super8camera-shop.com/

The prices look ok to as they are cheaper than what I can find here in London.
All the 2nd stores in london seem to be run by super 8 vetrans who are selling a nizo 801 for a wopping & £800 pounds which is somewhere near $1,342.32 USD

I can't even get a canon 514 for less than £180 pounds - so this super camera shop looks quite good pricewise - Im just not sure about reliabilty & whether to trust this place ?

Anyone outhere vouch for this place - have you brought from there ?

Im looking for a canon 1014 xls or nizo 801 for my first year in film school next year - so im very new & excited but a bit confused at what cam to get .

These 2 models canon & braun nizo seem the most popular - I originaly was gonna go for a kinoflex from pro 8mm but im not too sure of the lack of features & options for the price & I figure a 2nd hand 1014 will fair much better.
Santo

Post by Santo »

$1300? :lol: I bought my s800 for $169 on ebay and it's as good as new!

Either of the cameras you're now looking at are a lot better filmmaking tools than the Kinoflex -- which is very cool in its own crude fun Russian tank wind-up kind of way, I'm sure.

I don't know about the camera shop, but why aren't you looking at ebay? That's the place to buy cameras. Just make sure you check out the seller's history and you've got terrific odds of picking up a great camera. I've gotten four in a row that were exactly as advertised and work great.

Personally, I'd buy the Nizo (I have two Nizos and I'm biased), but the Canon is great, too, as everybody knows. And if you're going to do some sound synch, you need a camera that was designed to do sound film orginally so that you have a chance of it being quiet enough. Don't be fooled by the top end silent cameras with a "sound synch" plug in. They never are quiet enough for that! So if that's a concern, the Canon is a better bet. As would be the sound Nizos with the four digits. Fantastic equipment!

I'm sure other people will have their camera recommendations. Bauers, Beaulieus, Elmos, Nikons ... there's lots of great cameras out there. Do a search for "best + camera" on this site and you'll get all the experienced opinions you can handle on what to buy! But the truth is, once you get to the tip-top end stuff, it's just a matter of personal taste and special features you'd prefer.

One tip you've probably thought about, but I see so many people worried about, and it doesn't make sense: if you buy a camera and it breaks down during the semester, just buy another one off ebay! Don't worry about getting it fixed. You're in London, right? You'll get your replacement in no time if it's a Nizo from Germany or something. Nearly any of those top end cameras will cost as much to fix or overhaul as it costs to just buy another. In fact, for the prices I see people trying to sell these things for in camera shops, you can go out and buy three perfect ebay examples for insurance -- and use them to shoot multiple angles of scenes if you want to! It's just silly.
super8man

yep...

Post by super8man »

I agree - I am partial to the Canon sound models and am jealous of the guys who have Nizo's!!

Just arrived from ebay today a Canon 310AFXLS - that's autofocus - I thought it would be cheesy but I am super impressed. Focuses faster than my miniDV for crying out loud!! And that's before filming begins...

And the price? A whopping $29.99US. In the original box, case, instructions, lens tissues, etc...looks newer than some of the NOS I have seen in camera shops...

Buyer beware on ebay but do keep looking.

Cheers,
Michael
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

hi lex,

yes i bought an nizo ultrawide III lens from them. i must say it was a little expensive (150Euro) but it was in perfect condition, as they stated (which is rare for a plastic -not glass- lens that is more than 20 years old). i did a bank transfer (now free of charges within the eu) and i got the lens one week later.

by the way, they are not in belgium, but in germany,

regards,

p.pe
Santo

Post by Santo »

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I'm procrasting over a script I'm rewriting and wasting time and found just one example of the killer equipment you can get:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2958172846

I mean, look at this thing! It's a $150 right now fully serviced and cleaned! One of the greatest super 8 cameras ever made -- almost no expense spared, price almost no object at the time it was made and designed for professional use and PAL tv production with 25 and 16 2/3 fps switches! And I just looked at the pro8 site and they're trying to sell you a dolled up wind-up barebones camera for $350! And a painted up Beaulieu 4008 (the "classic pro") for $2195! :lol:

Sorry, Pro8, but you need to cut your film prices by at least a third and cut your camera prices in half! At least -- and then maybe real indie filmmakers who really would triple your business base by buying your shit to make films would take you seriously.
super8man

reference...

Post by super8man »

For what its worth, thats who I bought my Bauer C8 Makro from - honest seller in my books = read my feedback on him...
Cheers,
m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Lex colby

Post by Lex colby »

Hey - thanks for the link.

I am meeting someone today who has a canon 1014 xls for sale for a very reasonable price - works out at about $170 , do you think this would be a better buy than the nizo 4080 ?

I have read so many really good things about the 1014 xls being the best canon s8 & one of the best s8's outhere but I do like the nizo's so Im still torn but I guess there are tons of nizo's outhere.
Is the canon 1014xls nice to work with ?- as a first s8 camera ?

Also if I am planing to use it for final cut pro & & my mini dv pal cam,
What are the advantages of the 25 frame switch on nizo 4080 - whats the best use for it ?

I have read that there are'nt too many projectors that have 25 fps so I guess if I filmed at 25 on a nizo then It would convert well to my mini dv - doesnt this matter?
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

Get the Nizo!

How can I get in touch with the person you are meeting today? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angus

Post by Angus »

A while back they had some K40 that expired in 1988. I bought the lot and it arrived well packed about a week later. Not bad considering they posted to the UK.

And as a plus point the film all came back from processing giving good results - not that the Super 8 camera shop guys could guarantee anything given the age of the film.

I'd say they are professional in their attitude and from my one experience I would buy again.

Yep they are much cheaper than the London shops. I see Lee's Cameras always has Canon 514XL cameras for around £180...I bought mine from eBay in Germany for about DM40 !!!
bulion

Re: Has anyone brought from super 8 camera shop online belgi

Post by bulion »

Lex colby wrote:Hi there,

I am on the hunt for a decent super 8 & forund a good looking place online called the super camera 8 shop http://www.super8camera-shop.com/

The prices look ok to as they are cheaper than what I can find here in London.
Just for the records: "They" are not "they", it's an one-man-show shop, built from shopbuilder construction kit. Just because he calls himself "represantativeS" doesn't mean anything. I'm suprised that most people would so quickly jump to this conclusion. His domain doesn't have any feedbacks, but on eBay everyone leaves one's mark forever (sad but true). Check out "olix" and you'll find him. There are also some comments in this forum, just look after. 

London is much more expensive because of few facts:

1. it's filmmakers hotspot (not Bad Oeynhausen or so)
2. they must pay taxes and do _not_ evade them
3. there are still "very old-fashioned" people who like to look people in the eye and shake their hand. I'm serious.

I prefer online shopping by myself, but you should be more critical  about what is going on here in the online world. Just my two cents.

Here are some subsdiaries of Super8camera-shop:

http://www.lady-shop.de/
http://www.esc-elektronik.de/index.html?main.htm
http://www.gs-shopbuilder.de/rpeng/
http://www.handibike-shop.de/gs-shop/in ... l?main.htm
http://www.prosign.at/index.htm?softwar ... ftware.htm
http://www.budokai-medien.de/index.html?main.htm

bulion
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Lex colby wrote: Is the canon 1014xls nice to work with ?- as a first s8 camera ?
The Canon 1014 XL-S is a FAB camera and will serve you perfect in Auto mode from Day1 and offer any manual option you need to go from there. Also it has a spectrum coated lens which turns K40 into something unique (colour/imagewise)- images you will not see with uncoated lenses or most other cam makes at all.

The price is very good.

Very easy to use and I like to decribe it as a true "action shooter" in auto mode. It hardly makes any exposure error and you can just throw it around and the ultra fast servo motor operated iris operates the exposure control extremely accurate and adjusts it faster than the eye so it is almost impossible to see that it adjusts the iris.

Only tiny drawback vs the Nizo is a higher mechanical noise. Its built in exposure control totally outguns any Beaulieu and unlike them you will get a vignetting free lens and evenly exposed images.

Considering it is in normal good condition you can not go wrong with the Canon.

Buy both could be a second option :-)

R
Last edited by S8 Booster on Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Santo

Post by Santo »

If you can get a Canon 1014 xls good working condition for $170, take it! I'm sure S8 Booster is right in his assessment that you'll have no trouble starting out and will deliver everything you'll need. Considering the resale value on ebay, you could likely end up turning a profit at the end of the semester if you decide to sell it if you want to try something else or you're short on cash! I'd consider that a big selling point. That's if you do -- I'll be one of the first to say that Canon is top notch, and maybe you'll never want to sell it.
Macnessa

Post by Macnessa »

I had a good experience with him. I bought a Nizo Professional from him, and the mirror had broken off in the camera (probably not his fault, I've had bad experiences getting Nizo's shipped from Europe to L.A. from a variety of reputable sources, they're delicate) but I got it fixed here in L.A. cheaply and he sent me some filters and stuff to make it up to me. Other then the mirror, the camera functions perfectly, and would order from him again.