regular 8 finished.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr8mm

regular 8 finished.

Post by mr8mm »

All regular 8 products are sold out. No color or black and white. I have no source for regular 8 film at this time. Fomapan-R 100 is available in double 8. I recommend that customers in the USA purchase from either B&H in New York or Freestyle in Los Angeles. There is the possibility that Wittner will furnish Agfa 200D in the future but this film is not well suited for the 8mm format due to high ISO and high grain. Also importing from Europe inflates the price due to the high Euro/dollar exchange rate. The price of a single 25ft spool will be about $25 for a poor film product. The market will not support that price for this product.
bolextech

Re: regular 8 finished.

Post by bolextech »

In Canada you can order Fomapan from LIFT

http://lift.ca/equipment/store/fomapan- ... sa-100d80t

Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Thats sad news-im planning on getting some vision 3 color 200t neg re perfed in regular 8 soon -would people be interested in 100ft rolls for around $60-$70 a roll? Im getting it for my self -but because i will need to order bulk there will be plenty for others who are interested -You can get it processed as regular 16mm then slit it yourself. :D
aj

Post by aj »

R8 is not finished at all.

Wittner is gathering a group to test newly perforated R8 stocks.
http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/neu/n ... 20130812-1

So there will remain an assortment of R8 films :)

Kind regards,

André
marc

Post by marc »

Who's up to the challenge of translating Wittner's page?
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

That is very nice but unfortunately for the USA the EURO/dollar exchange rate plus shipping from Europe makes R8 finished in the USA. The problem is that prices asked by Wittner would make R8 available only to the very wealthy hobbyists in the USA that wish to use their vintage cameras. There is just not enough R8 being used to support R8 labs. The end of E6 hurt labs that only process reversal and not negative. These labs were the labs that processed R8 and they are barely hanging on. I am certain there will be someone willing to process at a price but again only something the wealthy hobbyist can afford. J.S.

p.s. Richard at NANO lab in Australia does process R8 and can process V3 neg stocks. So, there is a lab that will process 200T V3 and slit R8. Also in the USA Spectra and Alpha Cine should be able to process negative V3 regular 8.
super8man

Post by super8man »

Thanks for all of your support in the past! I sure enjoyed shooting regular 8mm when I did and 100D was a lot of fun! I will miss it.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Surely as long as there is 16mm there will be standard 8. :D
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

I would not pay too much attention to this particular doom and gloom scenario.
Regular 8 was suppose to be gone already in 1965 and yet it is still here with us today.
I'm convinced that brighter days are just around the corner...

Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
marc

Post by marc »

Amen!
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Currently Dwaynes Photo has Cinechrome 100d Standard 8mm. I just shot a roll on vacation, and ordered another roll which is on the way. I'm not sure how much they have left. The price is $25 for a 25 foot roll. I sure will miss this stock. I switched to Standard 8 when Kodak pulled the plug on 100d for Super 8. I am not crazy about the new 200d as the grain looks terrible. Hopefully they fix this issue or introduce a lower asa rated film. The Standard 8 I got back last week from Dwaynes is beautiful. I use a Bell and Howell projector 466, with the 250 watt dhl bulb and I retrofitted the projector with a Bolex hifi fixed lens. The results are amazing. I've never seen my films look this good. With that extra brightness the films look that much better, and especially the colors from 100d. It might also help that I used a Bolex K2 with the Switar lens. A little off topic but I wanted to add I bought one of those conversion light kits for my projector that converts from the large reflector bulb to the more modern lamp. The new lamp doesn't come anywhere close to the brightness of the original dlh bell and howell used. I can understand why they did not switch over to the more modern lamp as it can't compete with the old style dichroic reflector bulb.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Shanec8mm wrote: I am not crazy about the new 200d as the grain looks terrible. Hopefully they fix this issue or introduce a lower asa rated film.
There is no hope of fixing the grain I am afraid. We are extremely lucky there is anyone perforating colour reversal small gauge film at all. The Aviphot is the ONLY current option since the Fuji supply seems to have run out. All we can hope is that the Ferrania project comes off. In the meantime, get to love Aviphot and be thankful for it - that's my advice!
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
marc

Post by marc »

What about the Agfa 200 for 16mm?
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Agfa 200 for 16mm? 16mm Agfa 200D is available from several sources including Wittner. In fact for $22,000 you can buy enough 16mm 200D single side perf from Agfa to last into the next century. Wittner sell 16mm in 100ft loads and in bulk 1200 ft spools. And as Richard posted the Agfa 200d is the only option for E6 reversal at this time.

The Ferrania Scotchchrome 100D has a diffuse granularity of RMS 13. The Agfa 200D granularity is RMS 12. The 200D has a granularity that looks like the image was filmed looking through a swarm of mosquitos. It will be interesting to see how the Ferrania presents the image.

J.S.
livio

Post by livio »

Thank you John for the effort you did in making R8mm cheaply available. I still have few spools I bought from you in my refrigerator: I keep them for some important occasion! I always DIY process my films in a Lomo tank, and I'll go on using small gauge films (both R8 and S8) until it willl be possible to keep it (quite) cheap. Ferrania is a hope, but let see what will happen, and how much it will cost. Anybody understood if it will be triacetate base or polyester base?
Livio