E100VS discontinued...What does this mean for E100D?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

nickrapak

E100VS discontinued...What does this mean for E100D?

Post by nickrapak »

Well, it looks like Kodak's first bankruptcy victim on the film front is their E-6 lineup of still films: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professi ... 13319/1229 . This doesn't bode well for E100D, especially seeing as it's generally accepted to be similar (if not identical) to E100VS.
aj

Re: E100VS discontinued...What does this mean for E100D?

Post by aj »

Nothing.

Wittner is an insider and has asked his account- and productmanagers. And some other contacts.
E100D is freshly coated on schedule. So there are no signs of stopping at all.

Read along:
http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/neu/n ... 20120215-1
Kind regards,

André
Roster

Post by Roster »

So is this the end of all still photography Ektachrome film?

The discontinuation notice lists all the films as professional.

I have shot 35mm Elite Ektachrome before but it was not a professional graded film. I didn't think Elite came in professional and consumer grade but now I am not so certain.
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
RogerG

Post by RogerG »

Though I can't cite a recent article or bulletin, my recollection is that the "elite" line of films is the same formulation as the professional version. The only difference was release date. The elite version would be packaged and shipped for sale some months before reaching its "best" color rendition. This allowed a window for the film to sit on the retailer's shelf and possibly in the photographer's camera bag for several months.

Professional films, like E100G and VS are tested at the factory, and then released for sale when they achieve optimum color rendition. They're also supposed to be refrigerated while on the shelf.

From looking at the data sheets:

Elite Chrome (discontinued Q4 2011) = E100G (discontinued 3/1/12)
Elite Chrome Extra (still produced) = E100VS (discontinued 3/1/12)

E100D is believed to be the same as E100VS (and thus Elite Chrome Extra). So, E100D should still remain in production.

E100G is my favorite reversal film; plenty of color with fine grain. Looks like I'm going to have to buy one last brick of it, then switch to shooting 100% Fuji.
Bolex H-16 SB
BAC

Post by BAC »

I just ordered 2 rolls of E100VS from B&H, that should last me a for a year or two (my Viewmaster 3D camera takes about 70 pairs per roll). After that I'll have to use Fuji.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

This is bad.
I fear for Tetenal.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
kII

Post by kII »

does this leave no ektachrome reversal in kodaks catalog for 35mm still film users? I did hear that kodak wanted to be a reversal free company within 5 years, that was around 3-4 years ago!!... If kodak has pulled the plug on ektachrome, then we have lost the stock in all formats, remember when 64t was axed it took around 12 months before the knock on affect hit the super 8 format. Last year kodak made one last run of DS-8 100d, my feeling is they made one last coating of 100d, we're now just using up those master rolls, 100d could possibly be history in all formats within 12 months.
kII

Post by kII »

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journ ... rsal-films

game over, appears we have lost all E6 from kodak...
aj

Post by aj »

Stick with the Wittner comment. Rather then all these in depth analysis and assumptions.
Kind regards,

André
Pj

Post by Pj »

I think still photographers have more options to take slides, if they wish they can choose from Fuji, Agfa, even the Lucky Film Company in China produce slide film. Cine film is a different market, film users don’t have many options for colour reversal film, Kodak produce the only colour reversal film for 35mm, 16mm and Super 8; there are no other options from other manufacturers, I don't think Fuji produce a colour reversal cine film. Ektachrome 100D is Kodak’s best selling stock in Super 8, I think they will only discontinue if they decide to abandon Super 8, which I'm told is not yet as sales are very healthy, I think people shouldn’t make assumptions and worry, instead we should just shoot.

P
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

I agree with the non-catrastrofic opinions here:

- Kodak has ONLY announced discontinuation of 3 reversible films, and in 135 photo:

KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME E100G Film
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME E100VS Film
KODAK PROFESSIONAL ELITE Chrome Extra Color 100 Film

- There is another fourth which remains (KODAK PROFESSIONAL ELITE Chrome 100 Film) from which E100VS was, and E100D Super8 is cutted.

Do not throw your Nizos to the trashcan yet... :roll:
grainy

Post by grainy »

Yeah, I'm on the non-apocalypse side as well.
Historically, the doomsday crowd is alwasy wrong.
Aside from the actual facts, notice that we're all still here, and film isn't "gone by year 2000".
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

MIKI-814 wrote:I agree with the non-catrastrofic opinions here:

- Kodak has ONLY announced discontinuation of 3 reversible films, and in 135 photo:

KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME E100G Film
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME E100VS Film
KODAK PROFESSIONAL ELITE Chrome Extra Color 100 Film

- There is another fourth which remains (KODAK PROFESSIONAL ELITE Chrome 100 Film) from which E100VS was, and E100D Super8 is cutted.

Do not throw your Nizos to the trashcan yet... :roll:

Elite Chrome 100 was discontinued last year: www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2301052
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Disappointing but not surprising, seems that Fuji was the more popular stock for it these days. I would expect that their current strategy is to cancel any stock that is expiring in large quantities in their warehouse.

I wonder how much motion picture 35mm 'chrome is being shot these days? Havn't heard of any features recently using it, and even then they seem to only use it for cross processing.
aj

Post by aj »

Who do you mean by 'they' ? Fuji, Kodak do you have actual insight in their decision making?

The main use for 35mm ciné is projection copies for the still very large number of cinemas who project using film :)
Kind regards,

André