Free Z1000 or Elmo 8-TL. First come first serve.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

ECNtoo

Re: Free Z1000 or Elmo 8-TL. First come first serve.

Post by ECNtoo »

freedom4kids wrote:What are your plans regarding adaptation? Insert Super 8 film into a Single 8 thickness.

If so you have to compensate for the extra thickness of acetate base in such stocks as Plus/Tri-X, 64, etc. Yields roughly 40 ft.

Estar base negative stock such as 200/500T will get you the entire 50 ft. But it's gotta be done in a blackbag. As Iggy said: "No Fun...".

Anyone pre-packaging Super 8 stock into Single-8 cartridges out there? I have been staring at my ZC1000 long enough.
The lan is to engineer an external mod that holds super8 carts and feeds the film into the camera.
aj

Post by aj »

freedom4kids wrote:What are your plans regarding adaptation? Insert Super 8 film into a Single 8 thickness.

If so you have to compensate for the extra thickness of acetate base in such stocks as Plus/Tri-X, 64, etc. Yields roughly 40 ft.

Estar base negative stock such as 200/500T will get you the entire 50 ft. But it's gotta be done in a blackbag. As Iggy said: "No Fun...".

Anyone pre-packaging Super 8 stock into Single-8 cartridges out there? I have been staring at my ZC1000 long enough.
??? Retro8.com and Wittner have been doing that for years.
And it is not too difficult either for DIY as the Single-8 cartridges are easily split open and made refillable. Especially the old 'taped' ones. Possibly you can buy refillables when you ask for them..
Kind regards,

André
granfer

Post by granfer »

This actually raises the question...how will the pressure plate setting of a Single 8 cart react to Super 8 film?
aj

Post by aj »

not :). The single-8 cartridge has no pressure plate. The camera has a metal! plate which will press the filmsurface to the gate. The surface is thus at the same place. No worries needed.
Kind regards,

André
granfer

Post by granfer »

The question is...how will the extra thickness of Super 8 stock react to the pressure plate pressure setting on a Single 8 cartridge?
aj

Post by aj »

again not, it is only a margin thicker and the difference is too little. the pressure is only a fraction higher and goes by without trouble. if it all were so sensitive it would never have functioned as a consumer good.
plenty of super-8 materials have been exposed in wittner and retro8 cartridges. I run Orwo 54 super-8 from long rolls in single-8 cartridges without trouble. As is commercially available too.
Kind regards,

André
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Super 8 stock runs fine in a ZC1000. I did it back in the late 70s on a regular basis by reloading Fuji cassettes with shorter loads. I actually designed and machined a "mouse-ear" type magazine that was permanently attached to the top of a customer's ZC1000 decades ago. He used it to shoot Eastman stock that he bought in bulk and traveled all over Europe shooting with it. Worked perfectly. I was going to do the same with the two ZC1000 cameras that I have but, alas, no time. So off they go to new owners!

Roger
aj

Post by aj »

makes us wonder where the adapted zc1000 is or went. what were the topics he/she filmed with the machine?

I suppose it was permanently fixed to the camera.
Did you install winding motors (both way) or use a rubber belt drive like contruction? What size were the reels/rolls?
Kind regards,

André
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

aj wrote:makes us wonder where the adapted zc1000 is or went. what were the topics he/she filmed with the machine?
Travel stuff mostly. I saw little of what he and his wife shot. They were stinkin' rich.
aj wrote:I suppose it was permanently fixed to the camera.
Yes.
aj wrote:Did you install winding motors (both way) or use a rubber belt drive like contruction? What size were the reels/rolls?
It had a max load of 400 feet and used standard 400 foot projector reels. He had to load in a changing bag. The mag had forward motion only and had a simple slip clutch for the take up driven by a motor. More complicated was the central sprocket that was driven off the 1f camera shaft via a small gear linkage. The sprocket was in the throat of the mag right above the film compartment and would pull the film from the reel and also feed it into the take up chamber of the mag. Worked like a watch.

BTW: All the cameras shipped today, guys. You should see them in a few days.

Roger