New John Schwind Site (Regular 8 Film)

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

New John Schwind Site (Regular 8 Film)

Post by Will2 »

I searched the forum for any mention of this and nothing came up, so I thought I'd share John's new site for those Regular 8 users...

http://www.zerelda.com/internationalfil ... lfilm.html

John's company International Film specializes in hard to find stocks like Regular 8 or Double Super 8.
MIKI-814

Re: New John Schwind Site (Regular 8 Film)

Post by MIKI-814 »

Surprisingly I wrote to John yesterday to ask about this and he only told me "he was working on a new website"! Good news.
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

Great, now I can stock up on film for my Mitchell. :D
marc

Post by marc »

50D negative for Regular 8, that would be a dream! :D
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

marc wrote:50D negative for Regular 8, that would be a dream! :D
I agree. Sometimes dreams come true...
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

It is possible to get 50d in R8. Have some perforated by that fellow in the U.K. I received some 7250 standard 8 (R8) recently that had been perforated to R8 from single sprocketed 16mm. It would appear it can be done in very small quantities too. Indeed you could shoot r8 neg, have a normal 16mm print made, then have the print perforated. That would be a bit of fun.
So who is 'that guy in the U.K.'? I forget. But he is out there and you can find him by serching the forums. Do it... and I'll buy some too.
rt
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
marc

Post by marc »

richard p. t. wrote:It is possible to get 50d in R8. Have some perforated by that fellow in the U.K. I received some 7250 standard 8 (R8) recently that had been perforated to R8 from single sprocketed 16mm. It would appear it can be done in very small quantities too. Indeed you could shoot r8 neg, have a normal 16mm print made, then have the print perforated. That would be a bit of fun.
So who is 'that guy in the U.K.'? I forget. But he is out there and you can find him by serching the forums. Do it... and I'll buy some too.
rt
As I understand it, the quality of his perfs are not up to Kodak specs. I would rather it be done by Kodak since I would probably use it for something serious.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

Is the guy in Britain named Larry Pearce (LGP)? He did that for years-- a big 9.5 man, too.
Rob

Post by Rob »

richard p. t. wrote:It is possible to get 50d in R8. Have some perforated by that fellow in the U.K. I received some 7250 standard 8 (R8) recently that had been perforated to R8 from single sprocketed 16mm. It would appear it can be done in very small quantities too. Indeed you could shoot r8 neg, have a normal 16mm print made, then have the print perforated. That would be a bit of fun.
rt
I assume that was the 7250 I sent you a couple of weeks ago. Actually that was reperforated from double row 16mm film that I've had for some time (too long obviously, givern the amount of fogging it had suffered). The man who reperforates it is Edward Nowill. viewtopic.php?t=1386
Last time I spoke to him (a year ago) he couldn't yet reperforate single row film. although he was working on it.......

Rob
Last edited by Rob on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

marc wrote:
rt
As I understand it, the quality of his perfs are not up to Kodak specs. I would rather it be done by Kodak since I would probably use it for something serious.
Have you tried him? I have, and the reperforated film I've had from him is rock solid on projection.

Rob
aj

Post by aj »

Rob wrote:...
The man who reperforates it is Edward Nowill. viewtopic.php?t=1386
Last time I spoke to him (a year ago) he couldn't yet reperforate single row film. although he was working on it.......

Rob
Funny old thread :) A classic-style man without Internet/e-mail who really reperfs 16mm to make it suitable for R8. And then another modern guy who starts building his own perforator to save on shipping! And never actually produces a foot/meter after spending multiple-thousands of $$$

Wasn't there some ASA 10 BW film for Super-8 too? Or is this an old-time hoax?

BTW Wittner sells Kodak Plus-X in R8 rolls of several lengths.
Kind regards,

André
marc

Post by marc »

Rob wrote:
marc wrote:
rt
Have you tried him? I have, and the reperforated film I've had from him is rock solid on projection.

Rob
No, but, if I remember correctly, I believe that it was Studio Carter that tried it and he said that the only way that he got steady images out of it is when he used a projector whose claw pulled down the same frame as the camera he used (i.e. 3 frames above or below the gate, etc.). So that tells you that the perfs are not evenly spaced.
aj

Post by aj »

You are retelling other people's stories. And damaging another person's reputation. You haven't seen the cameras or the projectors and non of the footage?

And why do you want Kodak's specifications for products or services who Kodak does not care to manufacter or to lend.

The direct and personal experience by Rob is excellent.
Kind regards,

André
marc

Post by marc »

aj wrote:You are retelling other people's stories. And damaging another person's reputation. You haven't seen the cameras or the projectors and non of the footage?

And why do you want Kodak's specifications for products or services who Kodak does not care to manufacter or to lend.

The direct and personal experience by Rob is excellent.
I am not here to damage anyone's reputation. By all means, try it. And talk to everyone who has, to get a better picture. But in terms of "other people's stories", that is what this film making community is about. Most of the information that we get from here is through other people, so it would be naive to think that everyone would have to have first hand experience to believe anything. Many people here bitch about Pro 8mm ( and rightfully so) but it is the large consensus that will justify these complaints as was done with Pro 8mm. I am only one person, so I encourage as many people as possible to try it to get a better consensus. But I am also inclined to believe StudioCarter since all he does is Regular 8 and he has several projectors. He verified that the projector that had the same pull down claw as his camera was the one that was rock steady and the others were very unsteady. Now, as far as Kodak is concerned, their quality issues in terms of Super 8 is not with the perfing. It is with the cartridges. Regular 8 does not use cartridges so it is a non issue. And yes, I do trust Kodak's perfing. Maybe Rob is one of the lucky few whose camera and projector pull down claw are located in the same place with respect to the gate.
edwardnowill

Post by edwardnowill »

Hello All.
I am posting this to clear up a few misconceptions about my 16mm to 8mm
reperforating service.
First; I now have an email address.It is edwardnowill@talktalk.net.
Second-some explanations.I run two machines,machine number two is a German
made Buko currently having a new punch manufactured for it.This has turned out to be a difficult undertaking.Machine one originally belonged to L.G.P.cine.Shortly
before I bought it a new punch & die were made for it -good for 100,000ft of perforating.Regrettably the observations made by Carter Studios & others are
correct.There is a small error on one side of the punch so it is worth while,if using
projection equipment to have the same claw to gate separation as your camera.This topic has been covered many times in such publications as Amateur Cine World etc.By all means purchase your films from Kodak.Minimum order quantity for Ektachrome 100asa is 8000ft for regular 8mm or double super 8.There
are many suppliers of regular 8mm film world wide selling many different emulsions.Where I come in is in making available in small quantities film stocks
which are not normally available as 8mm.This service has proved to be quite popular both with private customers & with commercial concerns.It is my ambition to make available any 16mm acetate based film as regular 8mmas well
subject to the recommendations already outlined.Should anybody wish to build
their own perforating machinery they may wish to look at a design published in
amateur cine world August 1957 and good luck to you.
...........................Best Edward Nowill.............................