Bolex K2 question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Superbus_

Bolex K2 question

Post by Superbus_ »

I'm thinking about buying a bolex K2, it is in an almost unused condition. Is it a good camera? I know it is standard 2x8 and clockwork driven ( I like clockwork driven cameras).

What do think? What could be a reasonable price for this camera?
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio
prince_flan

Bolex K2 question

Post by prince_flan »

Hi Augusto

The Bolex K2 belongs to the best Standard eight cameras. I have one' it's beautiful and has a very good viewfinder. Also the zoom lens is fantastic!

The camera measures through the lens (TTL). The only downside are the batteries it needs.

2 mercury batteries for the powerzoom and one mercury battery for the lightmeter. The voltages of these batteries are approx. 1.35 V.
Batteries required are A1PX or LR50. The latter are available as Alkaline with a slightly higher voltage (1.55V), this is no problem concerning the powerzoom.
But it is a problem for the lightmeter, for measurements will be wrong.

The other problem is the unusual size of the batteries. I do not need the power zoom, but the lightmeter is important to me.

A workaround would be to adjust the lightmeter to the higher voltage. If you know a professional repairperson...

...or use a handheld meter.

For this camera, I would pay not more than 35 to 50 $ including a lensshade, and if everything works.

Good luck, Maurice
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

Hello Maurice,

Thank you, this was helpful!

super8man

Post by super8man »

You can also set the meter manually without batteries and the camera also offers the very cool feature of "banding" your exposure range to as big or small as you wish. The Switar lenses are tops and this same lens on a Bolex H8 REX would cost about $100. I highly recommend the camera - I have two and would sell you one if you did not live in Budapest!! Shipping would be a bear!!! The K2 is really the best Bolex had to offer in my opinion.

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

super8man wrote:You can also set the meter manually without batteries and the camera also offers the very cool feature of "banding" your exposure range to as big or small as you wish. The Switar lenses are tops and this same lens on a Bolex H8 REX would cost about $100. I highly recommend the camera - I have two and would sell you one if you did not live in Budapest!! Shipping would be a bear!!! The K2 is really the best Bolex had to offer in my opinion.
Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Mike,

I like the look of this camera and it seems to me the lens are really fantastic, like you mentioned. The only problem with this camera is the standard 8 I mean standard 2x8 - I do not have a standard 8 projector, of course all the stuff now digitalised but I also like projecting.
I think I'm going to buy it (the minimum price is 50& the "buy it price" is 75$) :)
By the way Mike, I like your site, it is great, one of my favourite!
cheers,
alvaro

Maurice, I just realised my citation is a little bit misleading:
I'm not Augusto.
Augusto Monterroso is a writer, often credited with writing the world's shortest story, "El Dinosaurio" ("The Dinosaur"), published in Obras completas (Y otros cuentos). The story reads, in its entirety:

Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí.
("When [s]he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")
:)

super8man

Post by super8man »

Many thanks!

You will not go wrong with the Bolex 18-5 projector - there are two kinds - one for super 8 and one for regular 8 - its a real honey of a projector. Try and get the special second power cord for it that attached to a table lamp - its triggered so that the light goes off when the projector turns on.

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/